|Course title||"Business problems in libraries" (2011)|
A wiki is a central e-learning tool.
- In this case the software wikispaces was used as, at the time of the course design stage, the FU wiki was not available yet.
- At the Freie Universität the central wiki system FU wiki is available since 2010 for the realization of this scenario.
The wiki serves as a presentation of the tasks given (in this case the key guiding questions) and for securing the results. The work by the students on the individual key guiding questions can be found in the wiki, always one key guiding question per page. On superordinate pages and via the navigation the contents of the topic blocks are summarized and structured along the contents of the lecture. Illustration 1 shows a page on which key guiding questions are summarized into a topic block and over which the subordinated key guiding question pages are accessible.
Illustration 1: Key guiding questions on the topic block "Strategic Management"
In addition to this, the wiki is also used for the organization of the script creation: students can enter their names in a list for the selection of the key guiding questions that they would like to work on. Duplications are thereby excluded and the lecturer can easily see who is active.
Weekly lectures and answering the key guiding questions within the wiki by the students are the basic elements of the blended learning scenario (cf. Illustration 2).
Illustration 2: The blended learning scenario
Before the start of lectures the educator comes up with the key guiding questions, configures the wiki and structures it according to the topics of the lecture. For every key guiding question a separate wiki page is created. During the face-to-face session she presents the wiki and its usage concept. Between the lecture sessions she follows up on the work being undertaken by the students in the wiki and gives feedback on the quality of the work being done. If needs be, she requests that corrections or edits are made. At the start of every lecture she takes up the produced content and makes a topic out of it.
The students select a few key guiding questions that they will answer during the course of the semester. The editing then takes place as a follow-up to the lecture; i.e. in the week in which the key guiding question is made a topic in the course. Thereby the script is created collaboratively in a weekly rhythm. Feedback by the educator on the post are either sent out via e-mail or given orally in the lecture. The result can be seen here.
- At Freie Universität there is a central wiki system, the FU wiki, available with which the described blended learning concept can be realized analog.
- Self-learning module for the FU wiki
- FAQs to the FU wikis
Support offered by CeDiS
- Consulting services for the implementation of digital solutions in teaching: The Center for Digital Systems (CeDiS) has extensive experience of many years when it comes to the implementation of digital media and systems within the fields of teaching, learning and research. We offer a wide variety of consulting services on the implementation of these tools and systems within the entire academic scope and especially at Freie Universität Berlin.
- Training courses and workshops: For lecturers at Freie Universität Berlin (professors, employees, tutors) as well as lecturers of other universities CeDiS offers training courses and workshops on the topic of teaching and learning with digital media. These course enable participants to implement online elements within their own sphere of teaching.
- The Executive Board of the Freie Universität supports e-learning initiatives: With the e-learning funding program financial resources are provided to lecturers that enrich and improve their courses quality-wise by implementing technological and media-related support. All of the academic staff teaching, the lecturers or even the institutions of the Freie Universität - without the Charité-Universitätsmedizin - can be supported within this program.