|Course title||"Introduction to Educational Science online"|
Educational Science (Bachelor)
Teacher Training (Bachelor)
Prof. Dr. Gerhard de Haan
|No. of participants||650 (2013/14), 950 (2014/15), ... 200 (2017/18)|
Illustration 1: "Introduction to Educational Science online"
- Tutorials (videos)
The lecture is based on the recording of a traditional face-to-face lecture. Thereby the students sitting in front of their monitors do not have to forego the lecture hall atmosphere. The video teaching material was prepared as follows:
Tutorials as an introduction to the online environment and a learning pass both provide orientation. Central questions and answers to these can be found in the FAQ. The students are supervised through forums, e-mail and in regular office hours. In addition, online office hours are offered in the chat.
Experiences made by the lecturer
The central approach of the course is that the learners themselves are at the very center of the new lecture format. Therefore, as a new concept, students were included in the development of the digital lecture. For example, they developed interactive elements for the gamification of learning content, self-tests and thought-provoking impulses. Very good experiences were made with the concept "by learners for learners".
The reactions of the students to the realization of the lecture format are mostly positive. Those were the results of the accompanying evaluation. Emphasized here were the independence of learning from both time and location as well as the accompanying material for the exam preparation. On the other hand, critical voices point out that significant more time needs to be invested in working on the lecture contents. Included here is the statement that the personal contact to other students is neglected.
- In-depth presentation of the concept and information on access to the demonstration course (PDF)
- Website with additional scenarios and teaching examples for implementing digital technologies in mass courses of the Freie Universität Berlin
Support offered by CeDiS
- Consulting services for the implementation of digital solutions in teaching: The Center for Digital Systems (CeDiS) has extensive experience of many years when it comes to the implementation of digital media and systems within the fields of teaching, learning and research. We offer a wide variety of consulting services on the implementation of these tools and systems within the entire academic scope and especially at Freie Universität Berlin.
- Training courses and workshops: For lecturers at Freie Universität Berlin (professors, employees, tutors) as well as lecturers of other universities CeDiS offers training courses and workshops on the topic of teaching and learning with digital media. These course enable participants to implement online elements within their own sphere of teaching.
- The Executive Board of the Freie Universität supports e-learning initiatives: With the e-learning funding program financial resources are provided to lecturers that enrich and improve their courses quality-wise by implementing technological and media-related support. All of the academic staff teaching, the lecturers or even the institutions of the Freie Universität - without the Charité-Universitätsmedizin - can be supported within this program.